an amateur attempt at the blog phenomenon and a way to give people an idea of life in whitehorse, yukon, sarah and jole style...

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

4 crown quest

What's that sound? It's jole hitting the wall.

On the one year anniversary of Ironman, I decided to complete an entirely different event in the far northern part of British Columbia. The third annual Atlin 4 Crown Quest was held on Saturday/Sunday August 28th and 29th in the remote community and wilderness surrounding Atlin B.C. The race incorporated mountain biking, paddling, running and more mountain biking. Entrants could choose to do the event over 2 days with a BBQ dinner and campout overnight or a one day epic. I chose to do the one day event.

About 40 athletes took part in 2 different races. The first to embark from the start line at 11am on Saturday were the 23 or so competitors for the two day event. The two-day version of the 4 Crown Quest consisted of a 20km bike up to Surprise Lake followed by a 20km paddle to the campsite at Cracker Creek. There, competitors rested for the evening and enjoyed a salmon BBQ.

The second day for the 2 dayers started with a 20km run through some remote mountain valleys and ended with a 20km bike back to the start/finish line.

The one day competitors did the bike-paddle-run-bike all in one day, Sunday. It was a long day. I decided the week before that, "hey, this looks manageable!" I was in for a surprise. Since the Kneeknacker, my "training" consisted of a total of 0 runs, and 3 bike rides including a time trial race and a Marsh Lake Duathlon 4 km bike leg.

The bike ride started out innocently enough. The road was about 2 km paved and the final 18 were decent gravel. No single track. I lead out the bike with three others, but these weren't "nobodies"!. One was Hans Gatt, the winner of the last three Yukon Quests (The annual 1,000 mile dogsled race from Whitehorse to Fairbanks), one was a member of the team who place second in the last Eco-Challenge, and the third guy was the eventual winner. We all completed the first bike portion within about 2 minutes of each other and departed in our boats. The three quickly put time into me once we were on the water. I have been in a kayak all of once in my life. It wasn't so bad, I have been watching the Olympics so I figure that my stroke technique is solid! Since running is my strongest of the three disciplines, I though that if I could finish the paddle leg with the three of them in sight then I might have a shot at top 3. If only!!!

I was soon passed by a double canoe...and then another double canoe...and then a double kayak...and then a single kayak. I was sitting down in eleventh place. Those doubles can sure go!

The paddle leg seemed to go on forever. I finished it in just under three hours. I hadn't moved my legs since climbing in the boat, my hands were blistered and my back was killing me! I had to pee like a race horse and the sun was out. I was cooking like a hotdog in my 2 shirts, camel back, life jacket and spray skirt. The end couldn't come soon enough. As I rounded each point I prayed to be close to the transition. Alas, there was yet another point to round, and another...and another. Finally I could see the end. I beached to boat and ran into the bush to pee. 5 minutes later, I was doffing my paddling attire and trying to will my legs to work. My back was slowly uncoiling.

The first 5 KM started uphill, climbing 400m to the first aid station. I employed the proven Kneeknacker strategy of walking the uphills. So I basically walked the first 5km. To use the term "road" would be generous. The track was a very, very rough 4x4 road through a very stunning valley called the Ruby Creek Valley. It was close to the high alpine where there were lots of big bears hiding, ready to eat us if we so much as wandered off the trail a few feet. This is the only race I have ever done where it was mandatory to run with a canister of bear spray. The numerous large piles of bear shit on the trail indicated to me that this was a good rule.

I ran more or less with two other competitors until the 15 km checkpoint. We crossed a few creeks, navigated a few blast areas (there was active gold mining in the area) and generally beat ourselves up. My legs were dead and by about the 10 km mark I had decided that I had bonked because I didn't bring enough food with me. The previous day, Sarah and I were trying to predict a finishing time. We figured around 7 hours. So, if I was thinking, that means I would have had to consume about 3500 calories during the course of the race. I don't know what I was thinking when I brought only 1 banana, 1 energy bar, and one small flask of hammergel. This amounted to probably less than 1000 calories.

So, I was shelled by 15km into the run. My two running mates went on ahead never to be seen again. At the end of the run, I scarffed 6 cookies and piled on my bike and tried to make it to the finish line still conscious. I did, to a fanfare of two volunteers blowing whistles and yelling. Alright! Granola bars all around!!! My finishing time was 6hrs 50 min, surprisingly, quicker than I had expected. The winner finished in just under 6 hours. Next year I will bring more food.

We found a place to live. About 15km south of town in a "subdivision" called wolf creek. Lots are a couple acres each and there's an outdoor rink in the neighborhood. We'll be in a 2 bedroom basement suite until the end of May next year. Rent is expensive up here. We'll be paying $900 per month including heat (a big $$$$ in the north) and water (it has to get delivered) and cable. We move in October 1st. Just in time to host sarah's parents. I hope you guys will be packing your paint brushes!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the north. I told you, you'd like it. How did I know because you have to be wild and crazy and U2 apparently are. Excellent blog. Keep it coming. Kent

11:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you found a secret Robert Service part of your soul that is looking for race challenges instead of gold? Good run/paddle/bike, though. Really enjoyed the Northern Lights blog. Makes me almost wishI was there. Keep on blogging

7:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel, we'll have to get a PACEMAKERS team together for the race next year. Sounds like fun. Ro

2:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home