an amateur attempt at the blog phenomenon and a way to give people an idea of life in whitehorse, yukon, sarah and jole style...

Sunday, November 20, 2005

From Report Cards to Christmas Concerts!

Greetings everyone!

I hope you are all well. Joel, on the other hand, is feeling a little hard-done-by because he feels that no one appreciates, or reads, his blog entries. All I can say is - keep the comments coming because I can't put up with him anymore! Sometimes, it is nice to hear from people because it can get a little lonely up here....

I am now walking to and from work in the dark. There was a ton of snow but some strange warming phenomenom hit and we are feeling a lot like Vancouver. We've had rain, sleet and sheets of ice on the road. These Northerners are discovering the sacred winter secret of Vancouverites- it is difficult to drive in wet snow! Even our pond hockey tourney was cancelled because of the warm weather!

Yes, that's right, pond hockey, and no, I don't know how to play, or skate, for that matter. I bought hockey skates and a junior hockey stick and practiced last week to gear up for the tourney. I already have the nickname, U-turn Sarah, because I can't stop, only turn around and around in circles. I must agree with my wise sister - hockey skates are much easier to skate with than figure skates. I'll will let you know how it goes on Dec.3rd, the new date for the tourney.

I finally got to Haines, Alaska for my birthday last weekend. The town itself is a dive but the sights are amazing! The eagle fest was on and there were over 2000 eagles on the Chilkat river in one week. We were able to watch eagles rip salmon after salmon apart and eat their fill. There were so many eagles, you could see black dots in every tree. I rememer when I used to get excited over 1 soaring eagle. We also saw seals and elk. Did you know that elk make a really funny squeaking sound? We stopped on the road, with a group of elk on either side of the car and enjoyed the elk calls.

The renovations are...coming along. We've painted the living room and dining room and Joel has "completed" fixing the hole in the wall. We have a basement filled with Tom and Karen's stuff. (They moved to Ottawa last week!) Stella especially likes this because she can spend hours chewing and pulling on their taped up boxes.

I completed my report cards before the long weekend and was the first teacher to get them done! Some brownie points were earned, but these points are now going down the gutter as I am falling behind with my Christmas concert and Pasoda celebration stuff. I'm not going to let this stuff break my Christmas spirit because I am really looking forward to having mom and dad w. up here for Christmas.

We are definitely going to Europe this summer because Jole has officially registered for Ironman Switzerland. The painful reminder hangs on our fridge. After weeks of deliberation over Joel's ironman written proposal and addendum, I finally "agreed" that it was "okay" for Jole to do the race. To quote Joel, it truly is " a chance of a lifetime" (yuck!). Joel has a new job starting in January - Executive Director of the Learning Disabilities Association. So, between his new job and the training schedule, I will never see Joel again. (That isn't always a bad thing!)

That's all that's new up here in the great white north. As soon as I down load our Haines photos, I will post the link.

Sarah

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi sarah and joel
thanks for the update!glad to hear that all goes well in the great north.we are getting excited to see you guys.
talk soon,love m

6:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI SARAH AND JOEL,THIS IS FROM YOUR MOM'S WORKMATE AND TELL JOEL NOT TO FEEL BADLY I REALLY ENJOY HIS WRITING HE TRULY IS QUITE ADEPT AT IT AND I DO ENJOY HEARING TALES OF THE NORTH OF WHICH I KNOW LITTLE ABOUT KEEP IT UP

11:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations Joel on your new job & good luck. we enjoy reading your blogs & hearing about life in the frozen north. the uplanders

9:52 PM

 
Anonymous ~tHe hUpS~ said...

CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW JOB JOEL!!!
I'm not sure if you guys new already but the Hupperts are adding another one to the gang...come June 11th...hope you guys will be around to meet the little one =:0)

p.s we love your blog!!

3:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

When did I say hockey skates would be more user-friendly than figure skates? Or, rather in what context?

Love A.

7:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home